Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Little ‘Lost’ and searching for razors


LOST
Episode: “The Beginning of the End”
ABC, Thursdays, 9 p.m., aired Jan. 31. Starring Matthew Fox, Jorge Garcia, Evangeline Lilly, Terry O’Quinn, Josh Holloway and Dominic Monaghan.
Synopsis: Feeling that their rescue is close at hand, the survivors don’t know whether to believe Charlie’s final message that the people claiming to liberate them are not who they seem to be.

Sara: So we’re on the island. Off the island. In the future. In the past. We jumped around so much in this first episode that I’ve got a mean case of jet lag. Thank god it’s not Oceanic Airline jet lag. But seriously. We’ve been given some interesting hints — like only six people made it off the island. Jack, Kate and Hurley we know for sure.

Mat: Fan-freakin-tastic! This is light years better than “Grey’s Anatomy” — yeah, I said it. J.J. Abrams’ creation doesn’t make me want to hop on a plane anytime soon, but if I’m ever stranded on a deserted island, I hope it’s with Kate (Evangeline Lilly). I’d only seen one or two episodes before this one, but once I saw the primer, this wasn’t hard to follow at all. What’s everyone so confused about?

Sara: Well, I guess you weren’t there for the mysterious polar bear. Or the Invisible Monster. Or seeing dead people. Or seeing ghosts, or trains, or prisons, or trucks. But enough with the past. In the flashes to the future, the main thrust of this episode was how Hurley (Jorge Garcia) is back in the mental hospital — seeing apparitions of a very sexy Charlie (Dominic Monaghan). And some scary Oceanic agent who had done ran out of business cards. Dropped too many in the “Win a Free Lunch” bowls? I can relate.

Mat: I liked the blatant O.J. Simpson reference during Hurley’s car chase with the cops. The footage took you straight back to 1995 and The Infamous White Bronco. And Jack (Matthew Fox) starting the day off with a screwdriver was a nice touch.

Sara: Yes, drinking in the daytime is always touching. But I think they’re trying to convey: “The folks who were rescued aren’t OK. They’ve got some deep, dark issues running amok.” From the flash-forwards, we know that perhaps there are still some survivors left on the island. Dead Charlie told a freaked Hurley that they need his help.

Mat: I hope Hurley errs on the side of self-preservation. Locke (Terry O’Quinn) is a slimy zealot who can’t be trusted.

Sara: I trust Locke. But the biggest mystery to date is why Jack is so afraid of razors. I understood why he sported facial scruff on the island. He was trying to woo Kate with the perfect George Michael-inspired 5 o’clock shadow. Oh, and razors weren’t rampant. But now he’s home, and it’s still there. What if it’s a remnant of the Island Monster that killed Mr. Echo? Maybe it refuses to leave his face. I don’t blame it.

Mat: Having just shaved myself, I can attest that faces and razors don’t mix.

Sara: Best scene had to be Hurley’s “Baywatch”-style slo-mo cannonball into the ocean. Or maybe it was Naomi’s overly dramatic death scene. That’s a toss-up.

Mat: I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Contact the writers at leo@leoweekly.com

No comments: